Pages

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Captain America 2 or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Accept That Marvel Is Evil

WordMaster

            This post, like many of my blog posts, was originally supposed to be a rant. As much as I hate to sound like an insufferable elitist constantly railing against the mindless unoriginality and lack of diversity in mainstream cinema, my patience has been dwindling as rapidly as the ratings for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. For the first time, I kind of understand why critics spend so much time denouncing modern blockbusters as superficial fluff pandering to some fictitious lowest-common-denominator audience. With its emphasis on CGI bombast and manufactured hype shifted into overdrive, the summer movie season has become more exhausting than fun, and this year, I found myself rejoicing when fall (aka awards season) finally arrived because even though Oscar-bait has its own problems, at least it involves something other than white dudes in colorful spandex punching one another for hours on end.

            Of course, you could pose any number of valid arguments about how all the doom-prophesizing and rose-colored yearning for the good ol’ days when artistic integrity really meant something is bullshit, which it is. In terms of financial success, the blockbuster format is as alive and well as ever; in fact, despite the widespread media coverage of bombs like The Lone Ranger and After Earth, 2013 turned out to be Hollywood’s most lucrative summer of all-time. Plus, even though studios increasingly rely on tent-poles like superhero movies to generate their profit, they still manage to produce plenty of smart, ambitious, more intimate films along with the big-budget extravaganzas. Besides, it’s not like Golden Age Hollywood was a shining beacon of innovation and daring either. The only real differences between then and now are that action flicks have surpassed musicals and westerns in popularity and movies tend to revolve around brand names rather than star power.

            My frustration has nothing to do with nostalgia. If anything, with the rise of indie cinema, I’d venture to say that cinema is overall in better condition than it was before, since it’s become easier than ever for unconventional filmmakers and previously marginalized voices to reach an audience. For example, I highly doubt that movies like Gravity and 12 Years a Slave would have gotten released fifteen or twenty years ago, let alone become frontrunners for Best Picture, and only five years ago, not a single woman had ever won an Academy Award for directing.

Still so happy for you.

In general, I like to think of myself as fairly open-minded when it comes to art, and my heart has been broken enough times by movies, from Eragon to The Lovely Bones to Prometheus, that I have more or less accepted the fact that most things won’t live up to my expectations. But for whatever reason, whether it’s because Hollywood really is undergoing some sort of creative implosion or I’ve just gotten a lot more cynical and hard-to-please lately, this summer seemed even worse than usual. The breaking point for me was Man of Steel. Sitting in the theater during the last hour or so of that movie, alternately fighting the urge to glance at my watch and stuffing my fist in my mouth to stop from bursting into inane laughter, I could actually feel my soul being crushed. It was like witnessing the apocalypse, the moment when it dawns on you that the future is doomed and hope is nothing but a fool’s dream, a cruel prank. Is this really what we have come to? Struggling to be amused by an insultingly blatant recreation of 9/11 and stilted dialogue spoken by characters with all the depth and charisma of blank paper? After the letdowns that were Iron Man 3 and Star Trek into Darkness, this was the last straw, the icing on the cake of mediocrity.


            It’s not that these were the worst movies I’ve ever seen (Norbit, anyone?). But that’s what makes them so disheartening: even with all the convoluted plots and too-long action scenes and poorly written female characters, you can still make out those faint, tantalizing seeds of brilliance. It’s easy to forget about something that’s just plain terrible, but wasted opportunities, unrealized potential? That hurts. No matter how much you enjoy the movie, you can’t help but wonder about the “what ifs” and “if onlys”. To be honest, I don’t think I’ve truly loved a tent-pole flick since 2010, the year of Toy Story 3 and Inception; even the three superhero films from 2012, all of which I liked at least to some degree, feel like they could have been so much more. It’s becoming a rather worrying trend – the blockbuster that’s entertaining yet undeniably messy and flawed.

So close, Mr. Bond, but if the movie’s going to be 143 minutes long, couldn’t you at least give Eve Moneypenny something to do?

            Maybe I’m being overly picky, or my personal standards have gotten so high that I’m no longer capable of appreciating or tolerating imperfection (which I don’t think is the case, since I keep swooning over 12 Years a Slave, even though I have some fairly major issues with it). Either way, Man of Steel left me angry and disillusioned, fed up with the mind-numbing banality that pervades so many blockbusters, especially superhero movies. As I hope I’ve made clear in my previous posts on the subject, I have no inherent qualms with the superhero genre (in fact, I think it’s one of the richest, most fascinating genres out there, when done justice), but lately, its members have begun to acquire a dull monotony, infinitely reproducing the same tired narratives, characters and tropes. The most depressing part is that it doesn’t matter. For all the fuss about Ben Affleck’s casting, you can pretty much guarantee that in 2015, people will be lining up the wazoo for Superman v. Batman or whatever they end up calling it, and assuming nothing surprising happens between today and December 31, the highest-grossing movies of the last two years will have been The Avengers and Iron Man 3. At the moment and probably for the foreseeable future, it looks like general public has yet to catch superhero fatigue. As long as the cash continues to roll in, Hollywood has no valid incentive to alter its current strategy.

            For a while, I seriously considered boycotting all franchise movies – sequels, prequels, spin-offs, remakes and reboots. That way, I wouldn’t be contributing to the problem, and I wasn’t jumping up and down with anticipation for any of the upcoming series installments; I could always just catch those movies when they came on TV later. But I eventually realized that it would be pointless. No matter what I do, people are going to keep seeing these movies, and it isn’t like I can force them not to in order to support my sanctimonious principles. Besides, even if I’m not particularly excited or hopeful about it, it’s inevitable that I’ll wind up paying to see the next Hobbit film, since as a die-hard Lord of the Rings fan, I’m practically obligated to (also, Evangeline Lilly!).

            Then came the trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Having thoroughly enjoyed the first Captain America movie, I had been tentatively interested in the sequel anyway, though I assumed it wouldn’t be something I had to see in theaters. Only if it gets good reviews, I told myself, and even then, I could probably make myself wait. When I watched the trailer, though, I knew my schemes had officially been ruined.


            I’ve made a big deal lately about how much I dislike Marvel Studios. With the record-breaking success of The Avengers in 2012, the corporation cemented itself as the indisputable supreme leader of the box office. Since then, it has embarked on a mission to seemingly take over every facet of the entertainment industry, not only green-lighting movies as far in the future as 2017 but also producing a TV series for ABC and finalizing a deal with Netflix for four more live-action shows. When the press talks about the “phases” of Marvel’s long-term development strategy (as in: “With Iron Man 3 opening Friday, Marvel launches Phase Two”), it sounds like they’re talking about some ominous super-villain’s plan for world domination, which is really not that far from the truth.

            You can’t deny that Marvel is great at what they do; to date, their movies have accumulated a combined $5,573,175,158 at the global box office. The problem is that I don’t particularly like what they do. Don’t get me wrong, I like some of their individual movies, especially Iron Man and Captain America: The First Avenger, but I’m still skeptical about the whole idea of grouping separate films together in one continuous universe for multiple reasons. First, while I can see why the concept of comic book movies resembling comic books themselves might appeal to fans of the genre, the fact is that movies inherently don’t function the same way as comic books; they aren’t produced en masse on a weekly basis, and they can’t simply go on forever (though Hollywood is certainly trying to make it happen, goddamnit). It’s hard to imagine that Marvel won’t eventually encounter major problems in attempting to preserve the continuity of their various storylines and universes as well as attract new audiences. Even right now, just at the beginning of “Phase Two,” the Avengers movies feel incredibly insular, packed with references and in-jokes designed to please fans of the comics, often at the expense of the plot and character depth. For Heaven’s sake, they’ve made an entire TV show revolving around a minor character who’s supposed to have died and only had the semblance of an actual personality anyway. And what are the post-credits teasers but Easter eggs for die-hard fans? Yes, on the most fundamental level, they’re advertisements for future Marvel projects, but is it really effective marketing if half the time, the majority of the viewers have no idea what the hell is going on? When you’re trying to appeal to a broad audience, I don’t think incessantly pandering to a limited demographic is the way to go.

             Another consequence of subsuming all movies under a single “brand” is that they’re required to use the same aesthetic and tone, even though the characters and filmmakers themselves are constantly changing. If you went into Iron Man and Iron Man 3 completely blind, you would probably never have guessed that they were directed by different people. The same goes for nearly any other combination of Avengers movies (Captain America: The First Avenger is a little different but mostly because it happened to be set in a different time period). This homogeneity is a conscious decision by Marvel, as you can tell from their method of choosing directors. Essentially, they hire cheap, inexperienced filmmakers who are easier to control and are willing to compromise their personal visions in order to accommodate Marvel’s grand plan. People don’t think of, say, Thor as a Kenneth Branagh movie; they think of it as a Marvel movie. And if you question their grand plan and/or happen to be a woman, they kick you out of the club.

Don’t worry, we’re furious too.

There’s also the matter of diversity (or lack thereof) in terms of characters and casting. Yes, in comparison to DC, Marvel seems like the Holy Grail of female and minority representation, and they are at least doing some interesting things in their comics. But the fact remains that they have yet to even green-light a film exclusively fronted by a female or non-white character, and aside from Black Widow in The Avengers, none of the female/non-white characters they do have are particularly well-served. So far, Marvel has introduced only three semi-major non-white characters – Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury, Idris Elba’s Heimdall and Ben Kingsley’s The Mandarin; neither of the first two characters have received their own narrative arc, and not only is The Mandarin played by Kingsley, who is British and Indian descent (and no, being Indian isn’t “close enough” to being Chinese to justify the whitewashing), but he turns out to be (*spoiler alert*) nothing more than a joke.

            The female characters have fared slightly less badly, but they’re still far from the feminist portrayals that many Marvel fans keep trying to depict them as. Even though Pepper Potts, Jane Foster and Peggy Carter are supposed to be smart and independent, they still mostly serve as love interests for, respectively, Tony Stark, Thor and Steve Rogers. It isn’t enough to point out that Pepper got to kill the villain in Iron Man 3 or that Peggy gets to fire a gun every once in a while or that Jane is dedicated to her work as an astrophysicist. That is the bare minimum that you have to do in order for your characters not to be considered completely sexist. Pepper still ends up in the damsel-in-distress role (not to mention that her main “strength” seems to be that she’s able/willing to put up with Tony’s misogynistic shit), Jane spends a substantial portion of Thor reduced to fits of giggling and swooning over the thunder god’s hotness, and Peggy (as much as I love her and Hayley Atwell) is forced to combat sexism by herself in Captain America, largely by punching asshole men in the face, which isn’t the same thing as real feminism. Until they decide to have a movie led by someone who isn’t a white heterosexual male, I refuse to applaud Marvel for being in any way progressive.

So, women are like raccoons or…?

Looking around the Internet, I get the sense that we’re supposed to be celebrating Marvel’s massive success or at the very least rooting for them to “beat” DC, whatever that means, but the whole thing mostly just makes me depressed. Obviously, DC has its fair share of problems (the understatement of the year), but everyone acknowledges that they’re sexist and clueless and overall just have no idea what the fuck they’re doing. Marvel, on the other hand, is frequently praised for having “strong” female characters and revolutionizing blockbuster franchises, but as I’ve discussed, kind of/sort of treating your female characters like people instead of stereotypes or tropes is hardly worthy of adulation. Also, few people seem to bother asking if Marvel’s impact on franchises is a good thing. It’s funny that the studio has somehow acquired a reputation as scrappy underdogs, a champion of marginalized geeks and a welcome, uplifting alternative to the grim soullessness of DC and mainstream Hollywood as a whole, when the truth is that Marvel is the epitome of the establishment. They don’t tell stories; they churn out products cobbled together from spare parts on an assembly line.

            In addition to single-handedly initiating our modern-day teaser culture, a marketing technique so pervasive that the anticipation for a movie has more or less overshadowed the movie itself, Marvel uses its movies to reinforce a corporate, hegemonic ideology. Of course, this is characteristic of all movies, especially superhero blockbusters, but it’s rarely so blatant. None of Marvel’s movies even attempt to question the status quo or explore politics in a meaningful way. We’re supposed to root for Tony Stark, for example, because he’s the hero. Never mind that he’s a billionaire CEO whose ultimate goal is to have total control over the global weapons industry, not exactly the most noble or democratic pursuit. To use an analogy, Marvel and its superheroes are like the St. Louis Cardinals: they try their damnedest to convince you that they’re lovable and smart, and you should be happy for their success, but in reality, they’re just annoying as fuck. (If I was to continue the analogy, I’d say DC is the New York Mets, in that you’d despise them if only they weren’t so pathetically terrible.) I don’t want them to be successful, because that would mean studios can insert their name into the titles of their movies and people would think that’s normal or, worse, desirable. I don’t want them to be successful because I hate hyper-meta inside jokes. I don’t want them to be successful because I want superhero movies that are allowed to be bold and distinctive.

Can’t stop, won’t stop raving about this movie.

Which brings me back to Captain America: The Winter Soldier. My ears perked up a little when I heard that directors Anthony and Joe Russo were aiming for a ’70s-style conspiracy thriller vibe, but the trailer was what really grabbed my attention. Not only is it one of the more well-made trailers I’ve seen lately, showing just enough to make an impression while leaving the overall plot largely enigmatic, but it also presented a movie that looks… different. The sleekness that characterized the previous Marvel films has been replaced by a darker, grittier visual style, and although there will no doubt still be the usual big action set-pieces, the trailer’s emphasis on atmosphere and Captain America’s internal conflict gives me reason to hope that the movie might create tension in ways other than wall-to-wall fighting. The casting is also intriguing, to say the least, with Scarlett Johansson apparently receiving her biggest role yet as Black Widow (which, of course, doesn’t compensate for the lack of a solo Black Widow project), should-have-been-Oscar-nominated Anthony Mackie donning wings as Sam Wilson (aka the Falcon) and Robert Redford stepping up as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D., a particularly savvy move considering the veteran actor’s presence in such films as Three Days of the Condor and All the President’s Men. Most of all, I’m delighted by the hints at an antagonistic relationship between Captain America and S.H.I.E.L.D., as the former struggles to adjust to the murkiness and cynicism of post-9/11 society. Could the movie actually address issues of morality and politics? Unheard of! The themes of freedom vs. national security, idealism vs. cynicism, individualism vs. patriotism, etc., are things that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was supposed to explore but abandoned in favor of a laughably simplistic debate between government transparency and secrecy.

            I’m trying really hard not to get my hopes up. After all, there are plenty of bad movies that had fantastic trailers, and like I said, there hasn’t been much reason to be optimistic about Hollywood lately. But… ugh. I can’t deny that I’m genuinely excited for Captain America: The Winter Soldier; at this point, I pretty much feel obligated to see it in theaters because even if it does end up sucking, I want to find out for myself. It better not suck, though, because my faith in all blockbusters is riding on this one movie. So, congratulations, Marvel, you pulled me back in. Take my money, you greedy assholes. But if you disappoint me this time, if the Captain America sequel doesn’t end up being the most daring and unique big-budget superhero movie since The Dark Knight, our relationship is going to be done for real. Are you happy now?








Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment