Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

My Love-Hate Relationship with Christmas

WordMaster



              Thanksgiving has come and gone, little more than a blink of the eye in another year of our lives. It seems like only yesterday I was bubbling with excitement at the thought of a five-day vacation and a dining room table overflowing with food (full disclosure: I don’t even like turkey that much, but for some reason, every year I find myself salivating over the mental image of a plump, dead bird glistening with fat and oil). Now, that’s over. We can breathe a sigh of relief that we’re finally free of our exasperating, idiosyncratic and otherwise unbearable relatives and heave a sigh of dejection that this brief escape from work, school and stress has come to an end.

              Welcome to the holiday season. To borrow a cliché, it’s a roller-coaster ride of emotions. Even now, I haven’t quite figured out how to feel about this last month of the year. The romantic part of me swoons at the sight of city streets draped in bright, multi-colored lights and the opportunity to reminisce about the past year – the good, the bad, the bizarre and everything in between. But the more disillusioned part of me dreads the tedious – not to mention expensive – ritual of buying presents that will most likely be admired for a week, tops, and the continuous merry-go-round of bland, self-indulgent Christmas carol covers that inevitably make the rounds on every radio station from Top 40s to Classical. I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t mind going the rest of my life without hearing “O Holy Night” ever again. And can we please stop pretending “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” is anything but creepy?

I can’t believe this is on my YouTube search history, but what the actual hell. 



              If Black Friday is the personification of American consumerism run rampant (something tells me that Tyler Durden would disapprove, though he’d also probably see this as a perfect occasion for violent mischief-making), then Christmas embodies modern society’s rather disconcerting obsession with innocence. Don’t get me wrong: I have nothing against children being children, and I enjoy the escapism that the holiday provides as much as the next person. But when Santa Claus, a mythical, bearded toy-maker who lives at the North Pole with a bunch of elves and reindeer, is being treated like some angelic superhero, it starts to seem a little preposterous.

               Case in point: This episode of Glee. I know I’ve ragged on Ryan Murphy’s landmark musical-melodrama numerous times on this blog; to be fair, after spending a full year in a proverbial rehab clinic (method of therapy: avoidance), my attitude toward the show has shifted from vehement outrage to slightly contemptuous bitterness (I no longer have to suppress the driving urge to punch someone in the face whenever I hear the word “glee”). But in this case, it is semi-relevant to what I what to talk about, so why not? 

               For those of you fortunate and/or wise enough to not have wasted an hour of your lives watching this atrocity of a Christmas special, I’ll give you a brief summary. Basically, one of the storylines in the episode involves the revelation that Brittney, a blond (duh) cheerleader who seems to have the IQ of a rock, still believes in Santa. Did I mention that she’s in high school? Besides the fact that any teenager who genuinely thinks that Santa exists probably (a) hasn’t made it passed elementary school and (b) has shitty parents, what makes this plot truly problematic is the fact that the rest of the glee club spends the entire episode trying to help perpetrate her childish fantasy. That’s right: instead of treating Brittney like the almost-adult she supposedly is and telling her the truth, they do everything they can to convince her that Santa is real. You probably think I’m taking it all too seriously, that maybe this episode is supposed to be a biting satire of… something, but that’s the problem: unless my tone detector is badly malfunctioning, I’m pretty sure that the show is being completely and tragically sincere. For an alleged dark comedy, Glee has never been particularly adept at irony; even during its respectable first season, it treaded a dangerous line between earnest and maudlin. That the show and its characters are so eager to infantilize Brittany, treating her ignorance like an endearing, even enviable quirk, is troubling on many levels.

               I suppose, in a way, that episode reflects modern society’s treatment of Christmas and children in general. Christmas is far from a novel tradition (according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, people have been celebrating it since the Roman Empire), but it seems that only recently has it been so blatantly tailored toward children. Whereas it originated as a profoundly religious festival commemorating the birth of Jesus Christ, the holiday has since evolved into a largely secular occasion on which people hand each other presents for no particular reason other than because it’s what they’re supposed to do. It’s one of the few days a year when children can act like spoiled brats and get away with it; in fact, it’s practically encouraged. Department stores hire people to spend days doing nothing but sit and listen to kids demand ridiculous gifts, and the lengths that parents go to in order to perpetuate the myth of Santa sometimes border on absurd (it’s like they don’t want to be thanked). There even exist movies whose entire premise revolves around the importance of believing in Santa Claus.

               I’m not going to go on a didactic rant about how Christmas has become commercialized or how we’ve forgotten the true meaning of Christmas because frankly, all that moralizing, holier-than-thou bullshit is one of the worst parts of the holiday (though I’m sure I’m not the only person who thinks that stores have started airing their Christmas-themed commercials ridiculously early).


Hey, Target, you couldn’t have at least waited until after Halloween?

               But I’ve never fully understood the obsession with Santa and the so-called “Christmas spirit”. On one hand, I get that Santa is a symbol of innocence, the belief that magic exists, etcetera, etcetera, but on the other hand… why? Does not believing in Santa and flying reindeer actually deprive anyone of the wonder of Christmas – nay, of life? I can barely remember a time when I thought Santa was real, but I’ve never considered myself an especially cynical or mature person. Yet whenever an adult reveals to a child that Santa is a hoax, people react as though a heinous crime has been committed. Why do we care so much about protecting children’s innocence in the first place? Someone exposed to a rated-R movie at a young age won’t automatically turn into a paranoid lunatic (as some people I know will probably attest, it might cause a tiny amount of permanent psychological damage, but isn’t that a part of life?). Profanity isn’t toxic; if anything, adults nowadays seem more sensitive to it than children. And sex is a biological process essential to the ongoing survival of the human species. You don’t have to rub kids’ faces in shit, to quote Laura Linney in Kenneth Lonergan’s wonderful film You Can Count on Me, but at the same time, growing up isn’t the end of the world.

               Maybe that’s just me. Maybe I’m an insensitive Grinch who’s spoiling the fun for everyone else. After all, Santa apparently makes lots of kids happy, so who am I to condemn him? On a personal level, though, I actually think that not believing in Santa has made me enjoy Christmas more. As much as I like presents and all that jazz, that’s not why I look forward to this time of year. What I really love about Christmas – and winter in general – is the imagery: the trees blanketed with newly fallen snow, the aroma of hot chocolate in a steaming mug, the warm crackle of flames in the hearth, the glow of Christmas tree lights in house windows. There’s something surreal, even fairytale-like about it, this one day when you’re allowed to really appreciate – really feel – things. Maybe that’s why Christmas is, at its core, bittersweet: it’s the perfect intersection between past, present and future. Even as you lose yourself in the euphoria of the moment, the joy of being surrounded by wrapping paper and family, and indulge in rose-tinted memories of your childhood, part of you knows this won’t last forever, because in six days, the year is going to end, and you’ll be just that much older…

               Well, shit. There’s that dreaded sentimentality. I guess that’s when you know the holiday season has officially started. Brace yourself for the inevitable assault of happiness mixed with painful nostalgia, irrational anger and, eventually, lingering disappointment that only a month of infinite showings of A Christmas Story on TBS can provide. And while you’re at it, here’s some good ol’ Frank Sinatra to get you in the Christmas spirit, whatever the hell that means:




               Merry month-early Christmas, everyone. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment